Worried About Piles? Here's Everything You Need To Know
Piles or haemorrhoids is a widespread disease, and many people do not prefer discussing it. People fail to understand that it is a very common health condition that requires immediate treatment. Delay in piles treatment can trouble you with long-term complications. This blog will explain everything about piles and its treatment. Read it carefully and share it with your friends without hesitation to make them aware of the disease.
What are piles?
In this health condition, a collection of veins and tissues in the anal area become swollen and inflamed. Piles develop around or inside the rectum. In other words, they can occur externally or internally. The internal piles occur within 2-4 centimetres inside the anus, and the external pile can be located outside the anus area. Many people, both men and women, suffer from this problem. It is most common in people aged between 50-60 years, but it can also affect other age groups.
Several risk factors increase the chances of developing piles. Talking about the treatments, home remedies are the best treatment to treat piles at the initial stage. Treat it before it reaches a severe condition. If symptoms are already severe, seek medical help immediately.
How do piles form?
Continuous pressure on the lower rectum for various reasons like constipation or lifting heavy weight causes piles. The constant straining can widen the veins that might form into one or more piles.
Symptoms of piles
Piles is not as complicated as it seems, and most of its symptoms are resolved on their own after a few days. These symptoms can be as follows.
- Pain and discomfort in the anus area
- Itching, redness, and soreness around the anus
- Pain while passing stools
- Blood in stools
- Painful lumps around the anus
These symptoms can turn severe, and these may reflect into:
- Excessive anus bleeding
- Anal fistula
If your symptoms have reached this condition, you need medical treatment immediately.
Risk factors and complications
Piles is not a serious condition and will resolve on its own after a few days. If you are experiencing it for long, you should consult a healthcare provider; otherwise, they can get strangulated.
- Untreated piles can cause severe pain and even make treatment complex
- Constant blood loss from stools may cause anaemia
- Eating low fibre diet may increase the risk of piles
- Overweight people have more chances of developing piles
Possible treatment of piles
Piles can be treated or prevented with some lifestyle changes. Some medical treatments for piles are also used to treat severe conditions.
- Lifestyle changes- diet modification, drinking sufficient water, staying physically active, etc.
- Medication- pain reliever, stool softeners, corticosteroids
- Surgery- banding, sclerotherapy, infrared coagulation, hemorrhoidectomy, haemorrhoid stapling
- Eating healthy diet
- Avoid weight lifting
- Staying active
- Do not sit in the toilet seat for long
- Maintaining moderate weight
- Do not force them to pass the stools
Atreum hospital is a multispeciality hospital in Bangalore, providing care and treatments around the clock. Count on Atreum hospital, whenever you need any medical help.