Important Nutrition Tips for Children!
Maintaining and having a healthy diet and focusing on nutrition is one of the most important ways to prevent the onset of disease. A healthy diet for your child can help prevent many chronic diseases, including obesity, heart disease, high blood pressure, and type 2 diabetes. If you make them learn healthy habits as a child, it will help them avoid developing chronic diseases such as those listed above as a child or adult.
As a parent, you feel more responsible and you play a major role in providing healthy food in appropriate portions. Your child’s nutrition is based on the same principles as nutrition for adults. However, it’s essential for every child to have nutrients such as – vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates, protein, and fat.
Some health benefits of nutrition-rich food for children are;
- Stabilises your child’s energy
- Improves their mind
- Stabilises their mood
- Helps to maintain a healthy weight
- Helps to prevent mental health conditions including depression, anxiety, and ADHD
Some essential nutrition-dense foods are:
- Protein: Protein helps the body to build cells, break down food into energy, fight infection, and transport oxygen. Foods that contain high amounts of protein are meat, Chicken, Fish, Eggs, Seeds, Beans, and Milk products.
- Carbohydrates: It is the major and one of the most essential sources of energy for the body. It helps to build and repair tissue. It comes in many forms such as sugars, starches, and fiber, but children should eat more starch and fiber and less sugar. Foods that contain high amounts of carbohydrates are Bread, Grains, Rice, Crackers, Pasta, and Potatoes.
- Fats: They are a great source of energy for children and are easily stored in the body. They are important in helping the body properly use some of the other nutrients it needs. Foods that contain high amounts of fat Whole milk dairy products, Cooking oils, Meat, etc.
- Calcium: It is essential in building healthy bones and teeth. It is important for blood clots and nerve, muscle, and heart function. Foods that contain high amounts of calcium are Milk, Cheese, Yoghourt, Egg yolks, Broccoli, etc.
- Iron: Every child needs iron to build healthy blood that carries oxygen to all the cells in the body. Foods that contain high amounts of iron are Chicken, Shellfish, Cereals, Beans, etc.
- Folate: It is essential for the healthy growth and development of the cells. This vitamin deficiency can lead to anaemia. Foods with high levels of folate are Whole grains of whole grain, Chickpea, Asparagus, Black Beans, etc.
- Vitamin A: It serves a variety of purposes in children and adults. It helps the growth, helps the eyes to adapt to dim and bright lights, keeps the skin healthy, and works to prevent infection. Foods that contain high amounts of vitamin A are Carrots, Sweet potatoes, Apricots, Broccoli, Cabbage, etc.
- Vitamin C: It does more than fight the common cold. It holds the cells of the body together, strengthens the walls of the blood vessels, helps the body heal wounds, and builds strong bones and teeth. Foods that contain high levels of vitamin C are Citrus fruits, Strawberries, Tomatoes, Potatoes, Watermelons, etc.
If you have queries about nutrition for children or specific concerns about your child’s diet, visit the best childrens hospital in Bangalore.